Saturday, May 1, 2010

Secrets

I have a little secret I would like to admit.  Something a lot of people don't know about me - I often sleep in my car.  Yep, I admit it.  Sometimes, to fill in the accommodation gaps of the travel life, I have to sleep in my car.  This isn't really as bad as it may sound.  I have a really cute car.  It is a red Subaru hatchback.  So, plenty of room to sleep in back.  (This is, in fact, why I bought the car - because I could sleep in the back).  I also sleep in some pretty amazing places.  I always sleep at a campground.  Sometimes it might be overlooking the ocean, sometimes it might be deep in a mountain valley. 

It also is not as glamorous as it may sound.  No matter where I am, I am still sleeping in my car.  Often on these nights when I have to sleep in my car thoughts start running through my head.  Often these thoughts are about how "normal" 43 year old women do not sleep in the back of their car on a regular basis.  And I start to feel like something must be wrong with me. 

Then I wake up in the morning and I remember that "normal" 43 year old women don't get to wake up to the sound of the ocean, or the smell of pine, or the sun rising over the mountains.  And I also remember that any 43 year old woman can be "normal" but not many of them can sleep in the back of their car in pursuit of something different.

I am writing this from the airport.  On my way to Haiti.  This is why I sleep in my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment