Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Road Less Traveled

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
 - Robert Frost -

I have always loved airports. 
Ever since I was a child - always. 
We did not have much reason to go to the airport when I was little.  But when we did, I remember, I got this feeling that I still get to this day anytime I am around an airport.  I did not know back then what that feeling was, but now I do.  It is the feeling of being alive.  It is the feeling of excitement, of wonder, of imagination, of dreams, of things yet to be discovered.
I love to wander around the airport.  Any airport, anywhere in the world.  I love to watch all the planes taking off and landing.  I love to see where all the planes are headed.  I love to look at the people.  What do the people look like that are going to Prague?  or Cairo?  Do they live here, or do they live there?  I make up brief little stories in my head.  Those people are Grandma and Grandpa coming from the Old World to visit all of their loved ones who have now moved to the New.  That guy over there, he has got to be some sort of foriegn correspondent for CNN - his life must be so exciting.  Pretty much where ever they are going, if I have not been, I wish I were going too. 
When I was a child and we would pass by our little Lansing airport, I would get that feeling of excitement and I of course had no idea that feeling would end up being the compass that guides my life.  That little girl, way back when, could not know what was to come.  She did not know that she would take the road less traveled by.  And that, for her, it would make all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment